All your answers for
Can I donate to support BAR? How?
If you're reading this you're already awesome!
So you can donate in 2 ways. One would be a normal donation, going straight to funding our costs for our servers, installer download, data bandwidth, website etc.
The other way you can donate is through buying BAR Merchandise. You can buy mugs, hoodies, shirts etc, and around 30% will be a donation to BAR.
Can i host a server by myself?
Not really but you don't need to
BAR offers servers for you, with the right configuration, latest updates, all kinds of nifty setup tools, robust networking and auto-downloads.
In the past we used another lobby, with which it is theoretically possible to host your own game. Unfortunately getting it installed has become increasingly difficult; making it work is even harder. Also there's a high chance hosting a server for BAR won't work over your internet/modem, since port-forwarding is almost always needed to make it connect to other players as well.
Owing to the many caveats of hosting yourself and many benefits of using the automatically spawned BAR servers; we recommend using the BAR provided servers.
We are working on making it easier to create your own server, only joinable by friends and managed by yourself, unfortunately we are not there yet.
Check out the #server channel on the discord if you have more in-depth questions.
The great news is our servers already have all the benefits of private servers!
Join an empty server with your friends and then type !lock in the battlechat. This will make your server fully private. Once locked nobody except admins can join or even spectate the battle making it fully private.
How does BAR compare to Supreme Commander (FAF)
There are quite a lot of similarities, due to them both being inspired by TA (Total Annihilation).
Here is a quick list of possibly the main differences in the comparison.
- BAR is much closer to TA
- BAR is able to handle more things with less lag (so i've heard this confirmed by more than 10 people in the last year)
Side note: We are also working relentlessly on upgrading the main engine to modern GL which theoretically could improve the already good framerate/low lag to almost double.
- SupCom has larger maps » or at least it takes units longer to cross a map - so BAR is more intimate
However, this little decrease in size, as we see it, is the sweet-spot for an RTS where you want to both be in strategic-zoom and in (closer-up) tactical-zoom levels - so you can enjoy the real battles more from up-close, instead of (mainly) moving strategic icons around.
- BAR possibly has quite some more / useful / interesting commands / features / options that can make playing and controlling your units easier. We have had several players from SupCom FAF talking after playing with BAR controls, they now don't want to go back to SupCom FAF anymore.
- Supcom (FAF) has 4 factions, BAR has 2 factions, though BAR has more different units in total
Side note #1: BAR has a 'Scavenger Faction' with all but slightly modified units from the 390-ish regular units from Armada/Cortex (main factions)
Side note #2: BAR has alien chicken/raptor monsters you can fight
- BAR has much higher quality maps in general. We have more details, and more unique/different looks for our maps as far as i know.
Side note: Though i know Jip is trying to close that gap with new techniques for FAF-mapping based on how we make them for BAR
- Supcoms T3 Experimentals are bigger. BAR Experimentals are a little smaller, but since they also less costly, chances are quite better to actually see them in a game of BAR than Supcom
Side note: We have T4 Units for the Scavenger Faction that are really big and super deadly
- Supcoms Interface looks more polished and has some nice eco-info stats and intel » though the plan for BAR is to implement more/better UI windows/intel as soon as we get our infra up-and-running and probably also when we can fully switch to the new engine with modern GL.
How to watch replays?
All your played games can be watched in a Replay
Just go to the main menu, click 'Replays' and look for your awesome battle and click 'Start'. All your battles, solo or online, will be here.
Additionally, if you played an online match, you can also find it here on our website under "Replays'' Actually, you can download every replay here, also from others.
Downloaded replays should be placed inside /Beyond-All-Reason/data/demos/
Once placed in the folder, you should see it show up in the Replay-list. If not, just restart the lobby or click ''more'' in the replay menu.
What are the differences between BAR and ZeroK?
ZeroK and BAR share their roots, they both forked from Balanced Annihilation, BAR around mid 2019 and ZeroK a few years before that.
This answer is WIP - Currently it is a quick mash-up of various comments and people - we hope to get it corrected/improved soon
ZeroK changed a lot of game mechanics and focused more on automation (micro, auto-skirm widgets etc). In addition to different design philosophies their art styles are different and the teams running them different.
BAR is closest to the original Total Annihilation among these titles. It brings back many original TA game mechanics, unit, map concepts and more; often expanding on them. The most significant additions are:
- Modern 3D engine | With fully executed physics (weapon ballistics, unit mass/inertia, explosions, gravity, wind, tidal, and more, all influencing the game-play)
- Modern graphics | Solutions and improvements making the game look close to some AAA titles
- Supreme Commander style camera | With possible zoom-out to tactical icons view for easier macro play
- Additional 150+ units | 394 in total inspired by many fan-made unit packs for TA, all having a role in the game
- Very fine tuned balance | Focused on fair competitive multiplayer (it derives from 10+ years of balancing legacy of its predecessor - Balanced Annihilation). The balance and amount of units give it a very long learning curve which makes it enjoyable for years of gameplay
- Enhanced UI | For better general control. With so many units and possible strategies we had to really focus on this aspect. Hundreds of useful widgets and possibility for user-created scripts too
- Optimizations | There is no real cap on unit-count, but realistically engine allows for decent FPS with 3000+ units in-game on mid-range PC. We are working on making this number even wilder
- New game modes | Like dynamic coop survival mode aka. Scavengers (also playable), Revamped Chickens, Controlpoints, and currently we're working on custom challenges and randomized story-mode battles
Where can I find maps?
Maps are automatically downloaded online
If you login and join any server a map on there will be downloaded for you.
If you want to play solo / offline, we suggest to start using the installer option 'Alpha Complete' which will download you an extra pack of maps to start with.
If you want more maps you can visit our Maps page or Check Springfiles and download maps manually.
Manual downloaded maps should be placed into /Beyond-All-Reason/data/maps/
Regarding custom maps
Out servers have a selection of the best maps, since we favor quality over quantity.
Also, good map quality has gotten a lot more important since we started using our new lighting/rendering techniques (like PBR).
Our maplist is Work in Progress (WIP), so if you have or found a really good map, please share it with us so we can look at it and possibly add it to the maplist.
Where can I post bug reports?
Bug reports are very important. Please share them with us!
But you probably already wanted that, since you clicked this item :).
So, there are 2 ways to do this.
If your game hasn't crashed, but some game stopped weirdly, or behaved strangely, do this:
- Go to the main menu » Help » Links and click on ''Upload Log".
- Wait a second or two for a popup in the bottom-right corner when it's copied the link to your clipboard.
- Then head over to Discord to channel #bugreports and paste your link there.
- Also describe what went wrong. « This is very important for us!
If your game did crash entirely, then DO NOT restart the game- this will clean/overwrite the logfile.
- Go to your install folder /Beyond-All-Reason/data/ and find the file 'infolog.txt'. It contains all the info, including your install folder and system specs. If you agree on sharing those:
- Please send this file on Discord in #bugreports, also with a description of what went wrong.
Many thanks in advance for helping making BAR better.