All your answers for
Can I donate to support BAR? How?
If you're reading this you're already awesome!
So you can donate in 3 ways.
- Is a one-time fixed donation. You can choose between six different donation values.
- A custom donation with the option to make it recurring (monthly)
- Donate is through buying BAR Merchandise.
Option 1 & 2 are going straight to funding our costs for our servers, installer download, data bandwidth, website etc.
For the merchandise around 25-30% will be a donation to BAR.
Can i host a server by myself?
Not really but you don't need to
BAR offers servers for you, with the right configuration, latest updates, all kinds of nifty setup tools, robust networking and auto-downloads.
In the past we used another lobby, with which it is theoretically possible to host your own game. Unfortunately getting it installed has become increasingly difficult; making it work is even harder. Also there's a high chance hosting a server for BAR won't work over your internet/modem, since port-forwarding is almost always needed to make it connect to other players as well.
Owing to the many caveats of hosting yourself and many benefits of using the automatically spawned BAR servers; we recommend using the BAR provided servers.
We are working on making it easier to create your own server, only joinable by friends and managed by yourself, unfortunately we are not there yet.
Check out the #server channel on the discord if you have more in-depth questions.
The great news is our servers already have all the benefits of private servers!
Join an empty server with your friends and then type !lock in the battlechat. This will make your server fully private. Once locked nobody except admins can join or even spectate the battle making it fully private.
How can i fix Live Stream Stutter?
If you experience strange stutter on your live-stream (though not in-game) you need to do this in OBS:
- Use ''Game Capture'' as your input
- Capture Specific Window is usually best. Use [spring.exe] : Beyond All Reason
- Check Limit capture framerate
Other streamers have also found solutions for other software by limiting capturing frame-rate (one way or another).
How does BAR compare to Supreme Commander (FAF)
There are quite a lot of similarities, due to them both being inspired by TA (Total Annihilation).
Here is a quick list of possibly the main differences in the comparison.
- BAR is much closer to TA
- BAR is able to handle more things with less lag (so i've heard this confirmed by more than 10 people in the last year)
Side note: We are also working relentlessly on upgrading the main engine to modern GL which theoretically could improve the already good framerate/low lag to almost double.
- SupCom has larger maps » or at least it takes units longer to cross a map - so BAR is more intimate
However, this little decrease in size, as we see it, is the sweet-spot for an RTS where you want to both be in strategic-zoom and in (closer-up) tactical-zoom levels - so you can enjoy the real battles more from up-close, instead of (mainly) moving strategic icons around.
- BAR possibly has quite some more / useful / interesting commands / features / options that can make playing and controlling your units easier. We have had several players from SupCom FAF talking after playing with BAR controls, they now don't want to go back to SupCom FAF anymore.
- Supcom (FAF) has 4 factions each with around 101 units per faction » BAR has 2 factions with around 195 units per faction.
Side note #1: BAR has a 'Scavenger Faction' with all but slightly modified units from the 389 regular units from Armada/Cortex + 21 unique Scavenger units.
Side note #2: BAR has 50 unique alien chicken/raptor monsters, including 6 queens, you can fight
- BAR has much higher quality maps in general. We have more details, and more unique/different looks for our maps as far as i know.
Side note: Though i know Jip is trying to close that gap with new techniques for FAF-mapping based on how we make them for BAR
- Supcoms T3 Experimentals are bigger. BAR Experimentals are a little smaller, but since they also less costly, chances are quite better to actually see them in a game of BAR than Supcom
Side note: We have T4 Units for the Scavenger Faction that are really big and super deadly
- Supcoms Interface looks more polished and has some nice eco-info stats and intel » though the plan for BAR is to implement more/better UI windows/intel as soon as we get our infra up-and-running and probably also when we can fully switch to the new engine with modern GL.
By the way, if you are coming from Supcom/PA or other related game you will probably find this guide very useful.
How to watch replays?
All your played games can be watched in a Replay
Just go to the main menu, click 'Replays' and look for your awesome battle and click 'Start'. All your battles, solo or online, will be here.
Additionally, if you played an online match, you can also find it here on our website under "Replays'' Actually, you can download every replay here, also from others.
Downloaded replays should be placed inside /Beyond-All-Reason/data/demos/
Once placed in the folder, you should see it show up in the Replay-list. If not, just restart the lobby or click ''more'' in the replay menu.
Is BAR moddable?
Yes and no.
You can write custom widgets for the game (check out the discord channel #widgets for more on that!) but at this time we don't support full moddability and customization.
We will be supporting it but at this time the game is still in Alpha and we simply don't know exactly how it will evolve. Worse yet we don't have the developer time to support any modders. One day you'll be able to mod BAR and play your mods with friends. Until then please jump into the discord and help out with the game development. It'll both give you a better understanding of how BAR works and make the day we can support modding draw closer!
What are the differences between BAR and Zero-K?
Zero-K and BAR share their roots, they both forked from Balanced Annihilation, BAR around mid 2019, Zero-K in 2007.
If you have played both of these games you surely have noticed a lot of similarities. Both games run on the same open source engine - SpringRTS, they share maps, many widgets and even some unit models. Zero-K being an older sibling to BAR holds a sizeable and well established player-base and can be downloaded through Steam. It has a nice single-player campaign and few interesting multiplayer options like coop missions, planet wars and matchmaking.
BAR is currently in development (Alpha state) slowly but steadily building an active player-base (many players chose to play both of these titles too). BAR also aims to hit Steam (hopefully in early 2022) witch a fully-fledged single player campaign and other cool game modes to enjoy.
So what are the main differences in gameplay between these two? Both games share the roots that go as far down as the original Total Annihilation. However, they took quite different approaches while evolving throughout the years, making different design decisions.
In short: Zero-K has diverged from some of the core mechanics of TA bringing in many fun ways to play while BAR has stayed closer to the source material. The most notable differences are:
- In BAR the economies of teammates are kept completely separate, while Zero-K shares the income from metal extractors equally to members of the team
- BAR has the exponentially scaling metal maker economy of TA and Supcom. Zero-K has a system called overdrive that allows for energy to metal conversion while keeping territory economically relevant throughout the entire game
- Zero-K aims to have units be smart enough to control at a general level with commands such as 'Shoot this enemy but keep your distance' while BAR relies more on player doing most of the microing himself
- Zero-K in general introduces a range of new mechanics such as upgradable commanders, jumpjets and extensive terrain manipulation. BAR hews closer to TA, although we are working on some features like upgradable commanders available through special game modes
- BAR has more of an emphasis on managing the details of your economy than Zero-K. Stalling hurts more and resources are spent at varying ratios in BAR to promote economic mastery and create various exploitable openings. Zero-K has friendlier numbers and consistent spending rates to put more of an emphasis on the rest of the game
- BAR has tech levels and factions similar to TA and Supcom, whereas Zero-K treats factories like 'mini-factions' and makes them all available at the start of the game. BAR has twenty factories split across two factions and tech levels, while Zero-K has eleven. Both games have T3 experimental units and superweapons
All in all, there are definitely things to love and dislike in both these titles depending on personal preference. We encourage to check Zero-K as well if you havent already and if you are coming here from the Zero-K community please make yourself at home :) There are many skills that translate very well between these two and you will definitely quickly get a grip of them. We have prepared some useful tips for beginners coming from games of the same genre in this post. Enjoy!
Where can I find maps?
Maps are automatically downloaded online
(unless the map-downloads server is down)
If you login and join any server a map on there will be downloaded for you.
Manual downloaded maps should be placed into /Beyond-All-Reason/data/maps/
Regarding custom maps
Out servers have a selection of the best maps, since we favor quality over quantity.
Also, good map quality has gotten a lot more important since we started using our new lighting/rendering techniques (like PBR).
Our maplist is Work in Progress (WIP), so if you have or found a really good map, please share it with us so we can look at it and possibly add it to the maplist.
Where can I post bug reports?
Bug reports are very important. Please share them with us!
But you probably already wanted that, since you clicked this item :).
So, there are 2 ways to do this.
If your game hasn't crashed, but some game stopped weirdly, or behaved strangely, do this:
- Go to the main menu » Help » Links and click on ''Upload Log".
- Wait a second or two for a popup in the bottom-right corner when it's copied the link to your clipboard.
- Then head over to Discord to channel #bugreports and paste your link there.
- Also describe what went wrong. « This is very important for us!
If your game did crash entirely, then DO NOT restart the game- this will clean/overwrite the logfile.
- Go to your install folder /Beyond-All-Reason/data/ and find the file 'infolog.txt'. It contains all the info, including your install folder and system specs. If you agree on sharing those:
- Please send this file on Discord in #bugreports, also with a description of what went wrong.
Many thanks in advance for helping making BAR better.